Social Media
Interested in your location becoming a Ky Nanonet Node?
Researcher Database Search
Lost Password and Registration Form
Update your Information

KyNN - Fab Junkie Notebook > Are You Ready for the Prom Season

I have no idea about you, but I have very distinct memories of getting ready for my senior prom. Scouring magazines like Seventeen to find ideas for a dress, making hair appointments, deciding where we would all go to dinner and whose house we would go to to take group pictures. Imagining what it would be like to slow dance with your special someone under a glimmering dance ball. It was a big deal.

Now, I know that nowadays, there are more and more formal events for teenagers, and that the scale of such events seems to have gotten bigger at younger ages, with Hollywood style bar and bat mitzvahs, cotillions, sweet sixteens and more. But still. Senior prom. It is a big event for a teenager, a culmination of high school moments, that can be both exciting and daunting.

A prom is all about relationships, the planning, the fun. Friends, first loves, the excitement of staying out late and wearing a wrist corsage. Or at least it was, in 1992, when I got ready for my senior prom. Growing up in a small town in Michigan, we did not have a big mall or department store where we could go try all the latest styles. In fact, my prom dress, was made by hand, by a seamstress after my mom and I picked out a pattern and fabric. I will never forget that dress. It is still hanging in my closet. Red, lace, off the shoulder.
Macy’s is Getting You Ready for Prom

So the fact that Macy’s is hosting events, nationwide, to help young women get ready for Prom? I love that. Young ladies and their friends can go to their local stories to browse all the latest fashions, get pampered at beauty bar, enjoy sips and sweets, and get in the dance mood with a DJ. Events are being held nationwide through the end of April. Select locations will even feature on hand stylists and designers to help girls find their perfect outfit like Project Runway Season 9′s Joshua McKinley, or Mandi Line, the costume designer for Pretty Little Liars.

Some might ask, do young girls really need to be pampered, or getting dolled up? Here is the thing, as much as I want my daughter to grow up knowing that it does not matter if she wears make up, what size dress she wears, or if she is “popular,” I remember the excitement of those first few “dress up” occasions, and they are not something I want her to miss out on.
Giving Back with

But the thing that I love even more than the idea of working with a stylist to find a perfect evening dress or getting to sample fragrances at the beauty bar? Is that Macy’s is teaming up with chapters to make sure that the prom dreams of all teenagers can come alive. By donating gently used prom dresses or formal dresses at these Macy’s prom event, girls who need them can partake in some of the same magic.

Just think of the bridesmaid dresses and formal gowns, (like my prom dress from 1992) that are hanging on a special hanger in the back of your closet? The donation of one of those dresses could give another girl a chance to participate in an event that she might otherwise have to miss.

May 7, 2013 | Unregistered Commentersubalashi